Thursday, March 13, 2014

Monday, oh, Monday.

Monday was a rough day.

Maybe it was the homemade chicken broth that tasted like dirt (dirt for dinner! yum!), or the red paint smeared on my table by a sneaky toddler, or the mountain of laundry, oh, the MOUNTAIN of laundry that wouldn't go away no matter how many times I closed my eyes and willed it to happen, or the fact that Daylight Saving Time just about kicked my rear and I medicated my drowsiness with several cups of too-strong coffee that left me jittery and, well, still tired.

I waited for my second wind. It didn't come.

During nap time, I prayed. I prayed for nothing supernatural, just enough strength to push through to the end of the day with my littles. Without using unkind words or putting myself in Mommy Time Out.

It was one of those days where the saying, "The days are long, but the years are short," replayed over and over in my head and I tried to savor the day. I tried. I did savor some parts. We made pretzels and that was fun. But I didn't savor all the parts. I was ready for bedtime at 4:00pm.

That's never a good sign.

At long last, the end of the day did come. I have a nightly ritual of singing over my kids after they are tucked in and Daddy has said goodnight. Right now, they each prefer a different song, and as I tucked Lydia into her little bed, I rubbed her little blonde head and sang her song.

I love you Lydia,
Oh yes I do!
I love you Lydia,
And I'll be true!

When you're not with me,
I'm ... (I pause and she jumps in and yells "PINK!" instead of "blue", every time)
Oh Lydia, I love you!

She gave me a little tired smile, and my heart started to soften. I took a deep breath and smiled back, feeling the day's tension beginning to fade. I went to Cub's room and rubbed his back and sang his song, one of my favorite old hymns that he calls his "sleepy song".

Far away in the depths of my spirit tonight,
Lies a melody, sweeter than song!
In celestial strains, it unceasingly falls,
O'er my soul, like an infinite calm.

Peace, peace, wonderful peace,
Coming down, from the Father above,
Sweep over my spirit, forever, I pray,
In fathomless billows of love. 

I leaned my head against his loft bed and sighed. My heart was content. The words from Cub's "sleepy song" echoed in my heart as I made my way to the guest room, where Naomi had decided she wanted to sleep that night.

I smiled and sat down to sing, happy with the fact that the day was ending so nicely, and she smiled back, her little hands reaching for her soft pink blankie, that was partially hidden under her little pillow. I rubbed her hair and started to sing Doxology, which has become her song.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!
Praise Him all creatures, here below! 
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host!
Praise--BAM!

Naomi yanked her blanket out from under her pillow and her pointy little elbow made direct contact with my mouth. And OH. IT HURT.

I sprang up and rushed to the bathroom, and saw a bleeding lip in the mirror's reflection. I unrolled way too much toilet paper, wadded it up, and pressed it against the wound, then turned heel to see Naomi, happily snuggling with her blanket, asking me if I would please finish my song.

Yep. One of those days.

I took a deep breath and walked back to her bedside, the toilet paper adhered to my swollen lip thanks to the blood, and finished her song ... now with a bit of a lisp.

Praith Him above, ye heavenly hotht,
Praith Father, Thon, and Holy Gohth.

Amen.

So, if, perhaps, you are having or have had or are going to have a day like this, I say to you, Hang in there. Some days, success means you did crafts and learned new things and went on walks.

And some days, success means everyone survived and Mommy didn't have to go to time out.

And look! I made it to Thursday. You can do it, too.

Amen.

Have a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment