Tuesday, December 14, 2010

No, You May Not Have My Blood Type.

At a store in the mall. Last stop. Long lines. Ready to go home.

I hand the cashier my items and swipe my credit card.

Cashier: Did you find everything okay?

Me: Yes! Thank you.

Cashier: Do you have any coupons or gift cards today?

Me: Nope! Not today!

Cashier begins taking clothing off the hangers.

Cashier: Would you like to save fifteen percent by opening a store card?

Me: No thank you.

Cashier: You can save fifteen percent on your store purchase today!

Me: No, thank you.

Cashier: If you open a store card, you can get fifteen percent off this purchase and then five percent of subsequent purchases (limitations apply)!

Me: No, really, I'm good. Thank you, though.

Cashier puts clothes in bags.

Cashier: Okay. And what is your phone number?

Me: What?

Cashier: May I have your phone number please?

(I make up a number.)

Cashier: We don't seem to have your number in the system. Can I please have your home phone number?

Me: It's not listed. (Meaning: We don't have a land line. Leave me alone.)

Cashier: You will not receive any promotional or sales calls, we just use it to know where our customers are coming from.

Me: It's not listed. But thank you.

Cashier: May I have your email address?

The line is growing longer behind me.

Me: Okay, yes, lalalalahereisanemailaddressInolongeruse.

Cashier: Thank you! And what is your first name?

Me: Katie.

Cashier: And your last name?

Me: May I ask why you need my name? It's on my card.

Cashier: For your email address. You will not receive any promotional--

Me:--(I give her my last name.)

Cashier: Okay! Great!

Me: Alright. Thank you!

She reaches the bag to me and pauses.

Cashier: And would you like to donate five dollars to St. Jude's Children's Hospital today?

Okay, really? Seriously? Who can say no to that??

Me: Sure, that would be fine.

Cashier rings a bell and cheers.

Cashier hands me my receipt. And my bag.

I turn heel to leave as I hear her beginning her spiel with the person behind me.

And we wonder why the lines are so long??

4 comments:

  1. It's so annoying. They do that everywhere in Chicago. I've just started saying, "No. I won't provide that information". I say it in the nicest way possible and they usually back down and move on to the next victim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I hate that! I get so irritated, especially when they are all chipper about it. Being a Finance person, I ALWAYS want to go into a lecture on how bad numerous credit cards are when they try to persuade me to get a discount for opening one. No is no people! ;)

    Funny how you make numbers up. I make emails up too. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part of me feels badly because I know they are doing their job ... but maybe they could put the cross-selling on hold when there are 2,000 agitated people in line??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, that's annoying. I don't mind if they ask once, because I know they've been pushed to do so...but this seems ridiculous!!

    ReplyDelete