If you notice my blog list to the left of the screen, you will probably see a recently updated post from Mighty Girl. I've read her blog for a while now and she has concocted something that I really love: A Mighty Life List.
Think Bucket List, without the creepy death factor.
What I love about Mighty Girl and her Mighty List is that the list is constantly added to and checked off. And, I love the idea of having goals. Goals are good. Ironically, I'm not much of a long-term goal setter. I tend to live life by the seat of my pants, rolling with the punches and going with whatever happens to fall in my lap (count it: THREE cliches in that sentence--WOOT!).
(My college English professor would die.)
Anyway. Mighty Girl's Mighty List inspired me to make a smaller version of a Mighty List for myself: My Mighty Summer List. When I was pregnant with Cub, I booked a photo session knowing I would have a four-week old baby at the time of the shoot. I did it on purpose to prove to myself that I could, and to further emphasize to myself that life does not stop with babies. Sure, it gets slowed down and totally changes, but it does not stop. So, the purpose of this Mighty Summer List is for me to think ahead, beyond having the baby. Some goals are small, some are a bit larger, some seem small but are large to me ... you get the point. I typed it out and adhered it to some fun paper, because things always seem more achievable and exciting when they are typed out and adhered to fun paper.
So! Here it is: My Mighty Summer List.
1. Birth a baby.
2. Breastfeed successfully as long as I can (meaning, I won't beat myself up if we only make it a few months!).
3. Ask for help when I need it.
4. Go to Target with both children.
5. Lose most of the baby weight (meaning more than 50%, by making healthy choices--no fad diets) by August.
6. Take an overnight trip to the lake with my family.
7. Drive to Arkansas, by myself, with both children.
8. Go to a Farmer's Market.
9. Teach Cub his colors as best as he can learn them.
10. Attend my friend's wedding, dressed up, on the Fourth of July.
11. Go on a boat at the lake with both children.
12. Throw a shower for my sweet cousin on the seventeenth of July.
13. Have my eyebrows threaded for the first time.
14. Drink lemonade on the back patio.
15. Learn how to light the grill.
16. Read "Jesus Calling" every morning.
17. Play horseshoes.
18. Surprise my husband with a date night--either a date night in or a date night out!
19. Find time to get a tan.
20. Write a song.
It's a pretty varied list. I am very much looking forward to having my eyebrows threaded for the first time, and a glass of cold lemonade on the back patio sounds fantastic, too. And, good grief, it's fine if Cub only learns one color, or no colors at all--I just want to be diligent in teaching him. I have a wedding to attend on the Fourth of July, and Naomi will be a month old or less than a month old at that point, so that is a very mighty mighty ambition, I think, to attend. If, of course, she's born that week or the week before, I will cut myself some slack! But, you get the idea. I will keep track of my progress and update here as I accomplish each item. And, naturally, they are in no particular order!
So! There it is. My Mighty Summer List.
Have a lovely day!