Thursday, May 20, 2010

If You Give A Mouse A Cookie ...

It started with a cup of coffee.

It was a tasty cup of coffee. Just the right amount of creamer, too. I drank it down, soaking in the quiet morning. Cub had spent the night with his grandparents, so I had the morning all to myself. I took my empty coffee cup into the kitchen and noticed the small pile of dishes in the sink. So, I loaded the dishwasher and set it to run. Then I noticed the backsplash behind the stove. I decided to give it a good wiping down (thank you, Windex Multi-Surface). And, of course, there was the stove right in front of me, so I removed the grates and went to town scrubbing down the burners (thank you, Soft Scrub). I looked up and saw the microwave, so I decided to scrub that out, too. And, why not the oven while I was at it.

And the countertops.

Since I was already in full-swing kitchen mode, I went ahead and vacuumed the kitchen tile. And really, who can vacuum the tile without then mopping it? So, I mopped away, at some instances getting on my hands and knees to scrub near the baseboards. I scrubbed down our kitchen table, too, just for kicks. And, since I had the vacuum out already, I went ahead and vacuumed the wood floor in our living room. And the window sills. Then I wiped out the window sills with a damp rag. Dang Oklahoma dust. And, since the vacuum was still out, I wandered into our bedroom and vacuumed our bedroom. Then I vacuumed our bathroom. And, like I mentioned earlier, who can vacuum tile without then mopping? So, I mopped ourbathroom floor, getting on my hands and knees to scrub near the baseboards. I went ahead and scrubbed out the tub, too. And the sinks. And the toilet. On my way out of the bathroom, I figured I might as well dust our bedroom, too. So, I took a damp rag and went at every smooth surface in our bedroom. Then I decided to reorganize the office area in our bedroom, and dust it, too. And, shoot, since I already had the dust rag handy, I went ahead and dusted the living room, too.

And I reorganized the bookshelf.

I drug the vacuum across the living room floor with the intent to put it away, but why not vacuum the kids' rooms while it was out? So, I gave them a good vacuuming. And then the only room left, really, to vacuum, would be the guest bathroom, which is RIGHT THERE next to the kids' rooms, so why not vacuum that, too? So, I gave it a good vacuuming. And, of course, you can't vacuum tile without then mopping it. So, I gave it a good mopping, getting on my hands and knees to scrub near the baseboards. And, since I was in there, I figured I should scrub down the countertops, too. And the sink. And the toilet.

I figured I should probably shower, seeing as I was giving off the lovely scent of sweat and toilet cleaner. So, I stepped into the shower and decided it could use a good cleaning, too. So I took a shower and cleaned the shower at the same time.

Oh, and I did three loads of laundry in there, somewhere, too. And folded them and put them away.

I stretched out on my bed for ten minutes with the windows open and the lights off. I was actually sore from all of the cleaning. It was amazing. Then I went and picked up Cub, came home and made dinner. Fajitas.

And unloaded the dishwasher.

And put my coffee cup away.

Five days before I had Cub, I alphabetized our kitchen cabinets. (Then I accidentally washed my iPhone.)

I think it's safe to say today was a nesting day.

And now I am going to crash.


  1. This reminds me of BOTH my pregnancies. With Sophia it was the day before I went into labor...and with E, a few days before. Crazy how nesting kicks in...

  2. ohmygoodness. I'm surprised you didn't throw yourself into labor. I did this too with Olivia. Maybe she'll be here in 5 days then:)

  3. oh and I actually just read this book to Livy this morning. "If you give a mouse a cookie." haha

  4. And then you bring an infant home and completely neglect all of those things! That said, feel free to drive your nesting instincts over to Memphis to whip my house into shape. ;)