Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Mom's Wuh-Tweet.

When I told Naomi I was writing a blog post about my new Mom retreat, she looked incredulously at me and asked, "What's a wuh-tweet??"

A wuh-tweet is a nook that belongs to Mommy and only Mommy (okay, and Daddy) and does not involve TOYS.

Our house is busy. Our lives are busy. The bustle of kids and baby and dinner and errands and cleaning ... it's a whirlwind. And my house is evidence of that! Before I had kids, I always said that the toys would have to be contained to one room (he he). This was, of course, before I had three kids right in a row, where toy containment is the least of my troubles. Each room has a designated toy spot, don't get me wrong, but I started to see the toys and baby things spilling into our bedroom, too.

And it's understandable. Lydia lived in our room for four months and occasionally naps in the pack 'n play in there. But I found myself feeling a little .... claustrophobic. I was having difficulty relaxing in my own house, if that makes sense.

So, we set up some rules and made a wish list.

The rules: No toys in Mom and Dad's room or the guest room. The wish list: A cozy nook where Mom (and Dad) can relax, read, and unwind. I mean, don't get me wrong--the kids climb in bed with us every morning and I will, inevitably, trip over a wayward Magna Doodle on my way to the bathroom at some point. But, I at least wanted a designated space, just for me. For us. A grown-up spot. I cut out a picture I found in a magazine that looked exactly like the nook I was imagining, and taped it to my computer. 

And this weekend, after much drilling, assembling, allen-wrenching, and organizing ... my wish came true. My hubby was out of town and it was just me, my bedroom, and some power tools.

This is our master bedroom "before". This picture was also taken "before" Lydia was born. So, add in a pack 'n play and some wet wipes (which have now been moved to the guest room). And, of course, imagine that it's actually lived in. So ... before:


And, after!



A wuh-tweet! A real Mom wuh-tweet! This is now the view from our bed. Neutrals and coziness. Love.



My original intent was to blow up a copy of our marriage license (like, huge) and have it framed, but when I found that we already had this copy, I went ahead and used it instead. I decoupaged it to foam board.


The fireplace is a funny story. The picture I had of my dream "Mom Nook" had a white fireplace that I loved. The other day I happened upon Big Lots to look for a rug and oh my goodness, they had fireplaces! And not only did they have fireplaces, but they had THIS fireplace, which is pretty much exactly like the one I've been dreaming of. I hauled that thing home, thrashed the box open in the van (it was too heavy to lift), carried in each piece, and assembled that thing in an hour. I was ecstatic. It is, essentially, a glorified space heater (or not, you can have the "flames" without heat!) and I love it. I LOVE it. Ambience, y'all.


Le sigh.


I spend my evenings in this chair. Relaxing. Amazing.


There you have it: The Mom Wuh-tweet. It is absolutely the best wish list thing ever. I love having my own designated space, in our bedroom, that is just for us. Perfect.

Have a lovely day!

8 comments:

  1. Okay that fireplace is AWESOME. I want one! (-:

    What a great wuh-tweet! (-:

    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. My jaw literally dropped at the "after" picture! Amazing! There is just something about a fireplace--real or not--that brings so much elegance and coziness to a room. What a treat to have a place to put your feet up at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GORGEOUS!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fabulous! The fireplace looks like it was meant for that space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a Mom it is SO important to have your own space where the babes can't invade. You did a GREAT job and it looks so inviting! When husband is away the wives will play er, DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love!!! This is amazing. So comfy and cozy and wonderful. Go, you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing transformation! Love the fireplace (I'm going to go look for one) and the color of your walls!

    ReplyDelete