Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Goosey Tuesday.


As I'm sitting at my computer, attempting to drum up some clever blog fodder, I find myself at a bit of a standstill. Uh, here, check out the geese that were in my front yard this morning! >Insert Picture< And there they are! The geese!

Actually, the geese were pretty cool. They took us by surprise, soaring overhead out of nowhere before spreading open their huge wings and floating into the yard. Cub had just finished getting ready for school, so we bundled up and sat on the front stoop to watch the geese wander around the yard. They meandered about, pushing at the soft, cool earth with their beaks, when suddenly one of them stuck its neck straight and tall and gave a commanding "HONK!" The other geese immediately waddled towards him until they formed a line, with the commanding goose at the front. He led his followers around the yard, giving a bold "HONK!" every few seconds. He was the only goose that made noise--the rest followed silently, in a neat and tidy row, obeying their leader. I saw another flock of geese in the neighbors yard, and wondered if the leader wanted to keep his crew in order to help everyone stay organized. You know, in case of a waterfowl rumble.

I couldn't help but be reminded of my own little crew as I watched all of this unfold in my yard. I often refer to my kiddos as my "ducklings" and it's a pretty true description-I, the Mama, leading the charge, and they, my followers, staying close. I sympathized with that leader goose!

Cub thought the whole thing was pretty cool, and I was thankful for that pause in our morning, with my my buddy and I. He turns four on Thursday and I'm kind of in denial. 

Have a lovely day, friends.


2 comments:

  1. Good to take sec with each kid individually. I bet he'll remember watching the geese with just his Mama for awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word.. that would have terrified me. I am so not into birds, especially large ones.. I take Josiah to the lake to watch the swans because he loves them, but they are so creepy looking with those long necks and beady eyes..

    ReplyDelete