Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Going Through The House: The Laundry Room.

I know. I KNOW. The whole point of beginning the "Going Through The House" series spurred from my intentions to decorate the formal dining room. Which is pretty much becoming the one room that I HAVEN'T DONE YET. I just keep getting ... detoured.

When major life changes happen (like, say, childbirth and adding a third baby to the family circus under your roof), we all react/respond differently. Some eat chocolate. Some watch sappy movies. I tend to dye my hair with a cheap box of color and then randomly and sporadically redecorate portions of my house.

To each his own.

Anyway.

One day last week, I walked into the laundry room, flipped on the light, and almost went cross-eyed from the fluorescent-ness of the fluorescent light that spanned the ceiling. Since we moved in, I've hated that light. In fact, I have a hatred for fluorescent lights in general. When I worked before having babies, I used to wait as long as possible to turn on the fluorescent lights in the office. My boss usually walked in and flipped them on for me when he had had enough of the darkness. I HATE THEM.

So, the light in the laundry room? I decided it was just time to replace it.

And, while I was at it, why not ask for some help and just repaint the room, too.

Firstly, check out the old light:


So ... fluorescent. Blindingly auto-shop-ish. And if you peer closely enough ...


Yes. Those black dots are DEAD BUGS. IN MY LIGHT.

GROSS.

The light needed to go and I wanted to replace it with something a bit more ... elegant. Because, let's face it: I stay at home full-time and most of my work is done in the kitchen and the laundry room.

I liken this to gussying up my cubicle.

Here is a picture of the laundry room "before".


The wall color wasn't bad. Neutral, nothing special.

And here is the laundry room "after":




Fresh! Clean! Blue-ish grey-ish!

And check out that fun light.


This is actually the light that used to hang in our dining room. I liked it just fine, but the shades that came with it were frosted and bell-shaped, which is okay, but it didn't have the personality I was going for in this room. I wanted something a little ... cleaner. So, rather than buy a new light altogether, I just repurposed this old light by replacing the shades. These are clear bubble glass and reflect the light beautifully. The whole room is brighter!

I haven't added many accessories, because, let's face it: It won't take long for this room to get cluttered on its own. For now ... I'm enjoying my new workspace. :)


Ahhh.

Have a lovely day.

3 comments:

  1. It looks so good, and it's even cheerier in person! Can I come over and use your laundry room...? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie!

    I'm sort of a lurker from WA State on your blog...eek, that sounds so *sneaky* but I really, really like your blog!! I've been reading for quite some time now.....

    There are too many things that I love about your posts to type them in a short comment!

    The breastfeeding post was brilliantly done. I have 8 children and breastfed 7 of them, with a 14 month old that I'm just beginning to wean, and there have been lots of people who have tried to tackle the issue. I found your thoughts on the issue to be very well worded and totally right-on, without being offensive at all! Great job!

    So now I'm following your blog!

    Your house looks great and is an inspiration for me.

    Well, I guess that's all, for now!

    Many blessing to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leanne! WOW--eight children! Now THAT is an inspiration!! Welcome to the blog! :)

      Delete