Friday, June 24, 2011

Love {Bubbly Bread}.

The other night I casually checked my email and saw that I had a message from my Mom. I opened it to find a recipe for some bread I had eaten when I visited her last and I can't exactly explain what happened to me, except that at that moment, that very moment, I HAD TO HAVE THAT BREAD. Something about it ... the texture, the taste ... the thought of it completely consumed my brain.


I had been fighting a cold all day but there was no keeping this preggo down. I jumped in my super van and headed to the grocery store, coughing into my elbow and clutching the steering wheel with Cruella DeVille-esque determination. Once inside, my makeupless and showerless self flew the aisles, grabbing what I needed, and made it home in record time. I whipped up the bread and sat on the couch tapping my fingers impatiently while it baked.


Let me say for the record, I do not bake.


If a recipe card says "let it rise", I toss it over my shoulder and thumb through until I find one that says "So easy a gorilla could do it" and even then, my chances are slim. To me, baking involves a bit of science, a subject of which I am a terrible student. I have only two things to which I claim to have any baking snobbery: 1) I insist on making my own buttercream frosting and 2) I make some mean Russian Tea Cakes. But that's it. Oh, and I make my own pancake mix. But then I burn the pancakes, so it doesn't count.


So! Baking. This particular recipe makes me giddy because it does not involve rising and it does involve sugar. Score! The bread is dense and sweet. Amidst my crave-tastic fury, I did manage to take a few (lame) pictures with my phone to document the occasion (hence the pictures will have a yellow-ish and blue-ish tint, sorry), as I figured the outcome would make decent blog fodder. And, because the recipe is too easy not to share. I did not burn the bread but instead descended upon it with maniacal fury, with the wide eyes of my husband staring aghast through the whole feeding process. The bread was hot and sweet and chewy and YUM. I politely offered my husband a piece but snatched it back mid-bite and devoured it. It was fierce, folks.


Fierce and AMAZING.


So! The recipe:


3 cups flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 sugar (or 1/3 cup if it makes you feel better)

12 ounces Perrier

3 tablespoons melted butter


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and set it aside.




In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, and sugar.


Add the Perrier.


Combine. Drool.


Dump in loaf pan (the mixture will be sticky). Drizzle melted butter on top. Bake for 50-55 minutes.


Ta-Da! Deliciousness! The final product won't be this ... yellow. It was the camera, remember.


This is all that was left when I started this post and, sadly, that perky orange plate is now empty.

But this happy tummy is quite full. :)

Have a lovely weekend, friends. And enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. I am trying this. I don't bake much either. Love to cook. Don't love to bake. And I'm with you if it has yeast it terrifies me. But this looks like something I could bake and eat (in massive quantities).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I bet you could even use plain ole' club soda instead of Perrier? Adding this to my "must try" list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you use club soda, please tell me how it turns out! I was on the phone with my Mom at the grocery store and when I asked her if I could use club soda instead, she gasped and insisted I had to use Perrier or Pellegrino. I think she was being sweetly snobbish, so I need a non-family member to try club soda and tell me how it tastes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I thought I could smell freshly baked bread wafting in my direction... ;) I just might have to try this out! :)

    ReplyDelete