Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sunshine In the Storm.

Today was a toughie. On Tuesday I enjoyed a delicious soy mocha from Starbucks, slightly suspicious that such soy mochas may be harsh on Mouse's tummy, but willing to give it a go to find out.

Okay, I get it, I found out, BAD IDEA.

I don't think it's a soy allergy. I think I just have a little lady with a sensitive stomach. Dairy protein allergy, and a sensitivity to other things. Things that I figure out every few weeks or so.

Needless to say, it was a long Tuesday night and a long day today. I was discouraged. I was expended. But, as is the way of life with children, there were gleaming bright spots amidst the somewhat cloudy day.


Naomi fell asleep on me in her nursery for a quick evening nap. After lots of crying and fussiness and gas all throughout the day, those few moments of snuggly peace were invaluable. You can't tell in the picture, but her little arm was wrapped tightly around my neck and she was clenching my hair in her fist. I think I was holding her just as tightly. It may seem silly to snap a picture like this, but I wanted to--I know how these moments feel, and I want to know what they look like, too. Tired, barely any make-up, sleeping baby. Peace.


And Cub insisted on sitting in "Dadda's chair" (the chair my husband always occupies at meal times) at dinner, when Dadda was running late from work. He climbed up and took over his new perch, sans booster seat. I was so proud of my little man. And he ate his entire piece of homemade veggie and chicken pizza. Something about that little boy bib, the monkey plate, the bright IKEA placemat, the tractor sippy cup, and that adorable face ... it made for the perfect view while I ate my piece of pizza. This boy brings so much joy. Tonight when I read "Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You See?" to him before bedtime, he laughed hysterically at the voices I assigned to each different animal. I sounded totally lame. And he thought I was totally funny. Bless that boy. He's at this great age where he's exerting independence, but he'll still snuggle with Mama to read books. Love.

It's good on a day like today to be able to look back and focus on the good things that happened. The good things were there, showing themselves sporadically, kind of like sunshine slicing through storm clouds. You know it's there the whole time, hiding, but it's nice when it decides to shine through, too.

Have a lovely day.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you're silly for snapping that pic. It is beautiful and it truly captures the way a Mommy feels for her preshy baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those kinds of pictures are the BEST! And honestly, when it popped up on my Google reader, my first thought was "WOW...what a beautiful picture!" So make up or not, you captured something real, and that is always gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete