Monday, October 5, 2009

You Can Find Me By the Mulberry Bush.

On Saturday I headed to Target with a mission in mind. I parked the car, walked through the sliding doors, and headed past the bright red carts towards my destination.

What was it? you ask. A cute scarf? New shoes? Fall decor? Overpriced hair products?

No. Sadly, friends, no.

I bypassed the clothing, veered away from the shoes, turned my chin up to the home decor and stopped in the electronics section. I took a deep breath, pursed my lips, and stood in front of a section I maybe vowed to never see:

Children's Music.

Memories. Oh, the memories. Memories of my Mom secretly grimacing as my brother and I excitedly begged her to play "our" music in the car. Memories of singing those songs at the top of our lungs, trying to keep up with the kids' voices on the tape. Now, as a parent, I realize that Wow. Mom was a trooper.

I cocked my head to the side, silently scanning my options. Finally, after a few moments of consideration, my arm convinced my hand to reach out and grab this:


A hippo with a camera! A horse with a suitcase! A flamingo with a compass! Let's get on the road, folks!

You see, Cub loves music. LOVES music. Loves songs. Loves for me to sing to him. Old MacDonald cracks him up. Oh, Mr. Moon keeps diaper changes full of giggles. And that one french lullaby is still a guarantee to get him to sleep. Everything from cheesy little made-up songs to old school hymns are amongst his favorite. So, I figured I'd change things up a bit in the car and have something specifically for him. I actually don't mind it (yet). It's fun to remember songs like I've Been Workin' On the Railroad and Camptown Races. The first CD of many, I'm sure. And the grin I see reflecting in his mirror stands as my assurance that this was a wise purchase, despite the fact that kids' music can be, well, very, very, VERY annoying. That little grin is worth it. 

So, move over Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama. There's a new band in town.

And by the looks of it, they take their job quite seriously. :)


3 comments:

  1. I've been looking for one of these...Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey and I just enjoyed some "kid music" together this afternoon. it's few and far between at our house right now...it still reminds me of all those "inside recess" days when I taught kindergarten. I'm sure I'll get over it. I bought 3 kid cd's for her; I better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, So, secret confession, I like kids music cds...okay, not all of them, but some of them are great. Sooo, in the category of music that kids like and adults like too:

    Dan Zanes and Friends Night Time cd. It's folksy and beautiful and fun. His other kids cds are good too, but Night Time is my favorite.

    Lisa Loeb Catch the Moon cd is for kids. It's more lullabyish and sweet. She has a new one called Camp Lisa that's silly, but may be more for elementary school kids.

    For the Kids by Various Artists cd is enjoyable with alternative rock bands singing kids songs...THe Tulsa Library has this cause I checked it out a few years back. Amazon.com has it too...

    OH NO and Here Come the ABC's by They Might Be Giants are good kid's cds if you like They Might Be Giants.

    Anyway, I have a bunch on my computer, if you want to steal some mp3's :)

    --Christi F.

    ReplyDelete